What we do
Many young carers undertake a wide range of domestic tasks and responsibilities as well as having to provide nursing care, personal care and emotional support.
The effect this can have upon the young person’s life often goes unrecognised by professionals and families alike and yet the consequences of missing out on childhood can be very far-reaching. Many young carers are disadvantaged in terms of their educational, social and personal development, and few have the time or energy to simply have fun and be ‘carefree’.
The situation is made worse by the fact that most young carers feel unable to discuss their problems with friends or other adults, through loyalty and fear of the consequences.
CareFree Young Carers’ Service aims to provide a flexible, responsive, and culturally sensitive service by:
- ensuring young carers have some opportunity to be free of caring responsibilities
- ensuring equality of opportunity for young carers
- raising awareness of young carers’ issues
- providing family based support and advocacy
- acting as a co-ordinator of services where appropriate
- providing information to young carers and their families
- providing social and leisure activities
- providing practical and emotional support.
This service is for young carers living in Leicester and Leicestershire.